I had something cool come my way that I’d like to share with you. It might help.. A LOT.
Last week I was approached (through HawkSwap) by a cool startup based out of Montreal whose mission it is to help students sublet their place for the summer. If you take one look at the Laurier Accepted 201x groups, you’ll see one thing: people looking to sublet. And it makes perfect sense – no one wants to pay $2000+ to have their room collect dust over the summer. So we’ve decided to collaborate and help expand their services to Waterloo.
Here’s how it works.
- You apply to sublet your place. If you get accepted, they will pay you 100% of your rent each month.
This almost sounds too good to be true, but if you take a look at their business model, it makes amazing sense:
- In each city they operate, they work with their Regional Manager, an interior designer, local artists, and a professional photographer who apply their skills to rearrange your space and improve its look. They store your stuff in a secure facility.
- Then they make it easy for travelers to discover your place online. Let’s say your rent is $2,000 (for the unit) per month: they might be able to charge $200 a night. Whatever’s left after they pay your rent goes into helping more people benefit from their service.
- At the end of the summer, they welcome you back to your place better than you left it.
They do have a short application process, and some requirements for it to work:
- They only accept full apartments (you can’t just sublet a single room)
- They need pictures of the apartment
- It needs to be in the right area
- The landlord must be OK with subletting
- Needs to be within May-August
- Needs to be available for at least 8 weeks
A couple last things. They said they’re running a promo where they’ll even give you $100 as a bonus, on top of paying 100% of your rent!
The other thing, is that for this project to be worthwhile, we’ll probably need to get at least 100 applicants. Applications are due April 30th, 2015.
SO, if you’re interested in subletting your place, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send you all the details. They expect to get a lot of applicants, so the sooner you apply the better your chances :)
After you’ve emailed me, share this post with anyone else you know who might be subletting their place this summer. You’ll be doing them a favour, as well as help ensure that we can move the project forward and get your place rented out.
Let me know what you guys think!
1557 total views, 1 today